Family Says Washington Woman Found Dead In Mexico Hotel Room In Apparent Murder, Investigation Continues | help me hayley

SPOKANE, Wash. – A local family is facing unimaginable grief after they say they were notified by Mexican authorities that their loved one was found dead in their hotel room. They say initial information indicates she was the victim of a domestic violence homicide, but the investigation is ongoing. They are working to get his body back to the United States where they are hoping for a second autopsy.

Sativa Transue was originally from Spokane, living in Cheney for most of her life. The 26-year-old currently lives in Milton, Washington and told her family she was going on a Thanksgiving holiday trip.

“Her boyfriend wanted to go on vacation to Cancun, Mexico for Thanksgiving, so she went too,” Mykayla said. “She loved it. Mexico. She had been there before. She texted me on Friday saying the sun was beautiful. And I’m so grateful she got to enjoy it.”

But Mykayla said those close to her quickly became concerned when something seemed off about Sativa during the trip.

“Her friends contacted us with text messages that Sativa sent hours before she was found,” she said.

Family members said friends tried to hook up with Sativa the next day. Worry quickly turned to panic. They all had the feeling that something was terribly wrong.

“(Two of his friends) went to the Milton Police Department,” she said. “We’re all so, so grateful for them. They then went to the FBI with everything Sativa told them that night. They have such good hearts, and we can’t thank them enough.”

Mykayla said that as soon as authorities in Washington learned what happened, they immediately began working to try to get answers for Sativa’s family.

“My mother received a call from the US Consulate in Mexico around 9:00 a.m. Saturday to say that unfortunately Sativa was found dead in her hotel room,” Mykayla said. “At this point they weren’t sure what happened, but since then his death has been ruled a homicide. We won’t have an official cause of death until a family member won’t be there to facilitate on our behalf. With Covid, and this being a crime in a foreign land, things are moving slowly.”

KHQ has been working to confirm details of Sativa’s death. We have contacted a local FBI spokesperson for confirmation of this situation, but they are unable to comment at this time. However, according to an article published in “The Riviera Maya Times”, Sativa’s boyfriend is in the custody of Cancun police and remains imprisoned at this time following his weekend arrest.

Mykayla said their family is desperate for the leftover Sativa to be brought back to the United States.

“(We want) a second autopsy,” she said. “It’s a very expensive process. We want and need justice for Sativa.”

Mykayla and other family members are now planning a celebration of life for Sativa. They said the world is a much darker place without her.

“Sativa touched the hearts of everyone she met,” said Mykayla. “She had such a beautiful smile and the most infectious laugh I’ve ever heard. She had the kindest heart and she was so caring that she put everyone before her. Sativa made friends everywhere she went. She was the light in all of our lives. Sativa was the person I will always look up to. Our family will never be the same without her.”

The family has a fundraising effort in place to bring Sativa’s body back to Washington. They said any remaining donations would go to local resources that advocate for and help victims of domestic violence.

Comments are closed.