Three US citizens found dead in Airbnb apartment in Mexico City

Jordan Marshall, Kandace Florence and Courtez Hall (courtesy of their families)

Three U.S. citizens staying at an Airbnb in Mexico City have been found dead in their apartment from carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said Tuesday.

Security officers at the apartment complex reported a strong smell of gas to police, who found the bodies of a woman and two men inside, the city attorney’s office said. They were discovered on October 30 in La Rosita, a neighborhood near Santa Fe, a wealthy neighborhood lined with corporate skyscrapers.

Their deaths come amid a surge in the number of Americans visiting and settling in Mexico, with the capital being their primary destination. Although an unusual occurrence, accidents and explosions have been reported in Mexico when the use of LPG and other gas sources to heat homes and water led to leaks.

Airbnb said it was preparing a statement to respond to the incident.

According to industry data provider AirDNA, there are more than 19,000 short-term rentals in Mexico City, just over 90% of which are listed on Airbnb.

Wavy.com first reported the deaths, saying one of the victims told her boyfriend on the phone that she was getting sick before being disconnected. The boyfriend called the Airbnb host to do a wellness check and authorities found the bodies, Wavy.com reported. Two of the victims were from Virginia Beach and one from New Orleans, all three in their twenties.

Source: El Financiero

Mexico Post

Comments are closed.